Day 6 (7/7/09) – Tuesday
We run the experiment using a used/old quartz reactor in a small tube furnace. Temperature was set to be at 30o Celsius. GC-TCD was already running fine, in standby mode to be injected with the gaseous from the glycerol reaction. We saw the viscous liquid moving slowly – flow rate of 60 ml/min using a syringe pump. The system seems to be not efficient or something else is wrong because the glycerol is not 100% converted to gaseous form. We can see the liquid coming out at the exit of the furnace inside the reactor. The tube was not directly connected to the GC inlet but instead to a beaker containing water, so that we can see the gaseous escape – bubble of course.
After seeing the fluid, we decided to stop the experiment. We switched off the power supply and allowed the temperature to cool down. I then try to disconnect the rubber tube from the quartz reactor. Suddenly, I can feel that the quartz reactor is very loose. I immediately know that the quartz tube has already broken into 2 pieces.
Check other furnaces. 3 big furnaces but only 1 is functioning. We are going to run an experiment tomorrow using a stainless steel reactor and the bigger furnace. We already set up the experiment for tomorrow. Good luck Zaki, Mahadhir and Huda…
Other activities of thee day:
- Attended briefing for new post graduate students at N29.
- Contacted RMC to check on the LO status of the purchased of my digital syringe pump. Still not settle yet because problem RMC – CICT.
- Discussed with supplier about the quartz tube that we want. I sketched the design of the quartz tube and emailed to the supplier. Later the same day, we discussed with the supplier on what we want.
- Complete reading elsevier abstract summary journal and identified important journals for me.
- Emailed my co-supervisor.